Re: Eventide Timefactor looper vs DL4 looper

cnovey@gmail.com schrieb:
> Hey guys- tired of my love/hate w my DL4- any experiences with the
>Eventide?

Well, yes and no. Following your email, I decided to have a look at the
Timefactor algorithms in the Eclipse. So I can comment on the functional
aspects, but not on package/useability etc.

I'll start with the Looper:

1. General concept:
Mono in/mono out in both cases. DL4 offers additional mod delay (which
the Eventide does not). Maximum looping time is 14s in the DL4 vs. 12s
in the Timefactor (or 40s in the Eclipse version), but see below in
section 3. Eventide responds to MIDI Start/Stop commands to start and
stop the loop and can be beat-synced to MIDI clock as well.

2. State machine:
If we leave out additional features (see section 3 for this), both use
three footswitches for basic operation: Record, Play, Stop on the
Eventide, Record, Play/Stop and Play once on the DL4.
To me, the concept of the Eventide seems superior, simply because you
can stutter (by repeatedly pressing "Play") and don't need to worry
about restarting the loop precisely at the moment it has ended as on the
Line6. If you want "One Shot" operation, this can be set as a paramter
(see below).

3. Additional Features:
The DL4 has halftime and reverse (which share one button) and looper
level, that's it.

With the Eventide, there's parameters controlled with knobs:
speed - which goes from 25% to 200% (three octaves in total - which also
pushes the maximum loop time to 48s or 160s in the Eventide). This can
be quantized to various steps, including chromatic, octaves+fifths and
octaves only. This is real varispeed.
decay - feedback (or secondary feedback in EDP lingo). Something the DL4
hasn't and which many long for...
loop length - allows to preset the loop length, and to adjust it
post-recording. Together with the next parameter,
begin - adjusts the position where the loop starts, this allows some
granular synthesis stuff (extremely cool btw!)

The behaviour of Record can be set to either overdub or replace, and to
latch or be sustain type (also cool!).

Then there's either a high/lowpass filter (same on on the input and
output) which you can add.

There is no reverse!

Summarizing:
The big disadvantage is the lack of a reverse option. All other things
are much cooler (including the three-octave speed range, only found in
stuff like...Möbius comes to mind, and of course the granular thingies).

The delay effects:
haven't worked with them that much. It's dual/stereo delays all the way
through. Plus, the "Tape" algorithm gives you varispeed.

Hope that helps,

             Rainer

--
http://moinlabs.de