Re: Great Quote about Looping by Brian Eno

When I was in school, there was a theater group that espoused an anarchist
philosophy and was very concerned with not trampling anyone's artistic
vision. The result was that they would put on evenings of short one-act
plays that a professor accurately described as "30 minutes of good ideas
crammed into three hours". At some point, editing becomes critical. 90% of
everything is crap. On the other hand, you may not know which 90% at the
time, so other ears or eyes or just a distance in time are critical to
making that analysis. The theater group needed a director who, for the
sake of the audience, would say "these is good, let's go with it; this
isn't working."

For me, playing live improvised music is a crapshoot. There are moments of
beauty. There are also times when I want to apologize to the audience for
wasting their time.

Mark