Re: drum machine

I still like how Arthur Brown's Kingdom Come was the first rock band ever to use a drum machine entirely, rather than a real drummer. It was something called a "Bentley Rhythm Ace" drum machine.  (some band has now adopted that as their name) This was on his band's album "Journey" (1972) which was also one of the earlier rock bands ever to use synthesizers, along with Mellotron, and even a Theremin.  But then again, Arthur has always been a brilliant and innovative performer, and a visionary, and still is..... :-)
(still active today and after over 43 years, if not longer. That voice has only aged gracefully, like a very fine wine.)

I just read about another underrated genius, Raymond Scott, who invented his own drum machine in 1962 and called it "Bandito the Bongo Artist".  Har!  Great!
(Scott also built sequencers in the late 50s-very early 60's, and was the original father of the concept of MIDI way back then, as well. Sad how most people still do not know about him)

I still have my old Gulbransen drum machine, made by the Gulbransen Organ Company, that I purchased at a pawn shop YEARS ago. It was probably made in the *very early* 70's,
if not even earlier.  No MIDI here or triggers here, of course.  The sounds?  Think: "Sober Reptiles" (and more) by Eno from the album "Another Green World". :-)

Cheers,
Rev. Fever
Portland,OR