Re: Boss "International Championship" [SIC]....

At 1:29 AM -0700 8/13/10, Rick Walker wrote:
>Given that there are so many live looping solutions that compete
>(and in my estimation, successfully) with the Boss line of products
>and given the number of world class live looping artists who don't
>even use Boss gear, I think it's a little presumptuous to call the
>finals of this competition an " international championship".
>
>Something tells me that Boss' marketing team would not be open to
>hosting a true and fair international competition for live looping
>that included loopers (and judges) using other manufacturers of live
>looping gear, both hardware and software.
>
>Am I being over sensitive here or does this sentiment resonate with
>anyone else here?

Well then, here's an idea...

                ~LET"S HIJACK THE CONTEST~

It's a public contest.  All the videos are made available on YouTube.
Also, somebody on the judging committee at Boss is going to have to
screen these entries.

Let's add some Art into their commerce.  Here's how:

Enter the contest, but *PAY NO ATTENTION* to the restriction on
Boss-only loopers.  Post all the great music you've made using your
Looperlative, your EDP, your JamMan, DL4, M9/M13, EHX SMM, 2880,
DD-20, Loop Junky, old tape delays,
Mobius/Sooperlooper/Live/Mainstage/Logelloop/Freewheeling....
WHATEVER.

This is even easier for those of you that already have videos on
YouTube: simply copy your existing videos, re-label them according to
guidelines so they can be easily found by contest-seekers, and enter
ALL of them into the contest.

Put some notes on the video stating that this is a protest against
Boss' marketing, and point the viewers back here to LD if they want
to learn more about Looping.  Use this as a vehicle for positive
education.  Use this to promote Loopers-Delight!!!

Somebody *will* watch.  It may be a potential listener or fan.  It
may be another musician scanning through the entries, in which case
you can help open them up to new possibilities for what can be done.
Additionally, the Boss judges will have to screen the entries, and
perhaps they'll finally start to pay attention.

We can send a message to Boss Marketing that they don't own Looping,
that this contest is by no means an "international championship", and
that there are thousands of people out there making great Looping
music.  Some of these people use Boss products.  Some use other
products and tools in their art.  But WE, THE ARTISTS, ARE THE ONES
WHO MAKE THE MUSIC and WE ARE THE ONES WHO DEFINE THE FIELD -- not
some group of clueless marketing hacks with an advertising budget
trying to shill a product.

Send a message.  Tools don't make great music.  People do.

There's some incredible talent in this community, and lots of great people.

Let's show them!

        --mech.
--
_____
"take one step outside yourself. the whole path lasts no longer than