Re: POLYRHYTHMIC COUNTERPOINT

Good point!!

Im not completely sure that I GET when something is 7;4 for example, if there is a click click click on every beat. My mind makes it 4:4 cos I LIKE that, Im comfortable with it. Fabios clicking video seems very clever to me, and Im very impressed with the head patting tummy stroking aspect of it, but IS 7 beats against 5 a pleasant "musical" sound, if you remove the er... 16ths.. well not 16ths... but you know what I mean?

I love the way "peaks" reoccur and interact as they move in and out of synch, the "phasing" that Reich does so well.

I do this mostly by multiplying out a tiny  but silent loop to say 17, then on a different machine (or track in Mobius) doing the same out to 18. then SUS SUB into each in tiny snips... the gaps in the music become the interesting part, and this is somthing Ive been working with ever I since I had a VERY DEEP LISTENING experience to crickets in Thailand 25 years ago I was so focused on the sound of the crickets, really trying to hear Steve Reichian phasing effects when all of a sudden I was listening the WRONG way round, listening to the GAPS and not the clicks. There are pictures that do this relatively easily, (the famous two faces hidden in a vase pic) but its amazing when it happens in music...

Mark