Re: Polymeter - Polyrhythm - Changing meter (was POLYRHYTHMIC COUNTERPOINT)

On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 12:51 PM, Fabio_A <eterogenus@gmail.com> wrote:
Too much theory ?
Ok, I'll shut my mouth... ;-)

Nearly too much, but not quite... can someone explain to me what 4:4 is in comparison to 4:8? I always thought that the second number denoted a crotchet, or a "beat". so I understand that 4:8 is quicker beats (er.. minims?)
If I play a "four on the floor" guitar chug, Im playing 4:4.. if I then just play double speed, has the song changed meter to 4:8.. I think not...?

And what of when people write 16:5.. ist there such a thing as a 5 as the second number.. what the f*** is that?

Also, is the meter a descriptor of how the notes loop? In polyrhythm 2  or more musical lines are superimposed, and indeed the clicks in you video are also poly rhythmic, but is that RHYTHM? I can play a 5 note looping riff, OVER a 4:4 beat, and that track is in 4:4, the fact that the notes revolve and dont come back the same way round for a few bars is just a melody played in a 4:4 song is it not?

And just to prove that I'm NOT against odd time sigs... heres a song from the Cranes  (Im playing the bass here... first chang is me) Now I'm guessing the is 6:8 and then 4:4... not topo weird, but I PROMISE you, we had NO IDEA what time sig it was when we wrote it...

http://www.cranes-fan.com/audio/cranes-lemon_tree.mp3

--
mark francombe
www.markfrancombe.com