Re: OT The Sub Pulse was West African/African Diaspora rhythms: 3/4,4/4, 6/8, 12/8

> hey let's hear it.I am curious to learn. So is Mark he just has that
>British
> humor about him.

Very good observation Anthony & yes I am a big fan of British humor,
especial Monty Python.

> Antony Hequet

> I really don't want to get you wrong (and please correct me if I'm
>mistaken),
> but what I am
> understanding about your stance here is that you seem to be
> dismissively telling
> us
> that you don't understand a musical level of sophistication that is
>understood
> by
> tens of thousands of groove musicians around the planet (whether they
>use the
> term
> 'sub pulse' or not) and that you profess to have no desire to
> educate yourself,
> or
> grow further as a musician, merely because it is a concept that was
> not included
> in
> your entirely Euro-centric (albeit rigorous and valuable) education about
> musical styles.

Hm....in fact, I think what I was going for was that I am clearly ignorant
of many things, one being what a "sub-pulse" is & another example I gave
of clearly not having augmented sixths in my head, which I don't. As for
"Euro-centric" I'm not exactly sure where you came up with that one from
as I am a big fan of oriental/Indian music & rhythms & both Ravi Shankar &
his daughter are amazing musicians even though I have no problem admitting
that I have a hard time getting their sound in my head as well because I
simply don't understand it, even though I love the music. As for being
"dismissive", that was not my intention. I was rather trying to avoid
another flurry of emails about what a "sub-pulse" is because I have
noticed a tenancy in these discussions to get so far off topic that I find
it almost impossible to get any kind of idea of what the discussion is
really about. If you'd like to start an email about what a "sub-pulse" is
that would be great & I would welcome the chance to learn something new.
My statement about several drummers/percussionists attempting to explain
the idea to me & my example of the poor fellow who took the trip with
Albert Einstein was meant to illustrate my own current problem with
understanding what my drummer/percussionists friends were trying to
explain to me.

> I certainly have respect for the 8 years you spent studying Harmony and
>Melody
> in a rigorous academic environment.

Thank you although it wasn't that rigorous actually. And my emphasis was
Theory & Composition, not Harmony & Melody.

> I just find it curious that you don't seem to have the same respect for
>my
> (or any other drummer/percussionist/arrangers) knowledge
> which has been accrued from 40 years of playing in popular styled bands
>as a
> band leader,
> arranger, composer, producer and instrumentalist(33 of them as a
> professional).

I don't recall making any statement that I don't have any respect for you
or any other person's knowledge, as once again, I was pointing out my own
lack of understanding. If you feel that this indicates me showing a lack
of respect, I must admit that the connection escapes me entirely.
BTW,Ringo is one of my favorite drummers, as well as Bill Bueford & Steve
Gadd if this helps at all. Also, Nick Mason who as well as Ringo both of
whom "float" better than any other drummers I've ever heard.

> I'm positive I could learn a thing or two from you about the things
> you have so
> deeply studied and am eager to do so if the chance presents itself.

Happy to be of service at any time.

> I wonder why you don't appear open to knowledge  that I (or some other
> drummer) could teach you about the world of rhythm, conversely.

Again, this is not the case. I have been a teacher since I was around 17
years old & the core of being a teacher is learning. As Socrates once said
when asked what all his wisdom had gained for him, he replied: " That
there is so much that I do not know" .

> The concept of a sub pulse is a very simple one and can be demonstrated
>very
> easily with a few
> choice examples. This concept absolutely defines

( I am not a big fan of "absolutes" as I have often found when someone
uses the word that they tend to quickly find the word was ill chosen )

the way human
> beings respond
> syncopation on a neurophysiological level and is easily
> demonstrable with sonic
> examples.

If you are saying that syncopation is a "sub-pulse", then it is not
necessary to explain any further. However, I suspect it is not so simple
an answer, no?

> I'd be happy to share it with you unless you feel your mind is closed.

Now who's being dismissive?