Re: New looping track

Quoting Sjaak Overgaauw <tcplugin@gmail.com>:

> Hi Kevin,
> Enjoyed it a lot! I'm a synth man, it's interesting to read how you
> experiment with your instruments and explore the unknown. I haven't
> worked with modulars a lot ...and will wait for a while because I
> think it could become the most addictive hobby ever ;-)

Yes, it really is addictive.  Particularly DIY synth building because,
once has built up a stock of parts and tools, the cost to build an
additional module isn't too bad.  Thus, the temptation to build
another module is ever-present.

> Anyway, what
> exactly do you mean with " clocked events within very long loops"?

The short explanation is that I use the LP1's Midi Clock to assure
that every note starts precisely on a "beat".  It is a real-time
quantization.

Here is a more technical explanation:

I'm using the Looperlative LP1 and, as you may know, it sends MIDI
CLOCK that is synced with the master track.  In this track, I set the
LP1's  "beats per measure" = 8.  The loop was around 24 seconds long
which corresponds to a beat (a quarter note) every 3 seconds.
However, MIDI Clock divides each beat into 24 "ticks".

The point here is that the ticks will be in sync with each iteration
of the loop.   On my synthesizer, I send the ticks into a clock
divider and set it to the smallest note value that I wish to use.
Normally, I divide by three which corresponds to a 32nd note.  From
this divider, I can then run the ticks through more dividers and,
regardless of how I set or change the division amount, I will always
get a tick that corresponds to a 32nd note.  (One of my modules is a
Voltage-Controlled Clock divider that will divide by as much as 60.)

My synthesizer utilizes Gate/Trigger logic which requires both a gate
and a trigger signal to play a note (i.e., to "fire" the envelope
generators).  If I use the gate from a keyboard and the trigger from
the divided LP1 ticks, then the note won't start anywhere except on a
32nd note boundary.  Thus, I can play notes that appear to randomly
placed that are, in reality, placed precisely on a beat.

So, that is what I meant by "clocked events within Very Long Loops".

-- Kevin