Re: Some observations about Y2KX

Quoting Matthias Grob <matilists@gmail.com>:

> On 19 Oct 2010, at 10:22, kkissinger@kevinkissinger.com wrote:
>
>> In the past, equipment glitches occurred with enough regularity
>> that one considered glitches to be part of the looping game.  This
>> year, the only noticeable glitch was when Bob utilized his
>> prototype LP2 -- and, after all -- it was a prototype still in
>> development.
>
> hm... ok, but I noticed that even most headliners had to say at some
>  point: "crap" and restart a loop or so...
> as a listener, I do not have a problem at all. its even a circus
> tradition to do something wrong, to appear more human etc...
> but "professionals" may conclude that its not suitable for big stages or
>so?

I had the impression that the "oh crap" moments were due to human
error -- for instance when Amy hit the <erase all> button in one
place.  (Made me grin because I did that last summer during one of my
live-streaming performances on electro-music.)

I didn't notice any software-crash glitches, though.

>> While some people manipulated loops (i.e., reverse, stretch, etc)
>> most of the loops ranged from 2 to 12 bars with an emphasis on
>> overlaying sound.
>>
>> Either that or the loop mangling was so subtle and/or integrated
>> into the performance that one didn't immediately notice it.
>
> are you saying that it has become simpler compared to other years?
> yes, maybe there was less impulse to show off fancy looping and more
>  focus on beauty and flux

What comes to mind is a statement that someone made (perhaps Eno,
can't remember) that repetition is not possible because the listener
is constantly changing and will experience the music differently each
time.

The first year that I attended the festival I was very new to
live-looping and was often very confused about what was going on.
With four years of experience some things that may have sounded
complex in the past seem clear now.

Having said this, I think there was a little less loop-mangling than
in past years -- could simply be that the lineup of performers tended
to do less mangling than others that have appeared in the past.

Perhaps there isn't the urge to cram 2 hours of looping techniques
into a 25 minute set. :)

> I felt a lack of rap and beat boxing since (as you can confirm on
> http://youtube.com/livelooping ) there are many of them and its one
> of the most obvious use of livelooping. maybe due to the vibe (age?)
>  of this community they feel lesser at home?

I've not listened to a lot of beat-boxing and rap and I'm left with
general impressions of it, only.  One of the great things about the
Y2K festivals is the shear variety of music.

> Also, there are many singers/songwriters that use livelooping as an aid,
> but I would agree to rather invite musicians that create new music
> with looping than those that recreate the old kinds (with less
> musicians)

I can't think of any set heard at the Y2K events that could have been
done by a group of (non looped) musicians.   The performers at Y2K
approach live-looping as a process/technique/artform in and of itself.