Re: Great speech video on "Sound"

>> Could you give an example of this? I can't imagine in any way producing
>> work of art without defrinite meaning.... For instance, if I wrote a

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 7:47 PM, Kevin Cheli-Colando
<billowhead@gmail.com> wrote:

> That statement seems very problematic to me.  What is your idea of
>DEFINITE
> meaning?  I play improvisational music.  I do not know what it will
>sound
> like or where it will go.  I consider my ability to do this an artform
>but I
> would have no idea what the meaning of the sound is.  An expression
>that we
> exist in a world of limitless creative possibilities?  Perhaps.

Yes, I think so. Here's an interesting extreme example: It might even
occur that the art in improvisational music has less to do with what
sounds are actually produced as with the process of the musicians
trying to find "something to say" (i.e. looking for common ground). In
this case *the artist's intention* - to go with that definition of art
- is to put themselves into unknown territory and just deal with that
situation as best as they can. An audience can even enjoy following
this process if the musicians are unsuccessful in finding a common
ground expression (goofing around in confusion until the piece is
over).

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se