Re: @Bill, empty loop, or looperlative/EDP trick (composition?)

On Nov 14, 2010, at 10:09 AM, Mark Hamburg wrote:

On Nov 14, 2010, at 9:20 AM, William Walker wrote:

Mark H said:
I used to use the SUS replace trick fairly heavily when I was performing with the EDP.

Hmmmm funny, I don't recall what you did with it sounding like the stuff I've been doing with it. But perhaps you were using it in the context of longer loops which doesn't really create the same kind of percolating beat sequences as using a short loop will. It will just sound like you are replacing big chunks out of a long loop. But  perhaps that's why its such a cool technique:  in different hands the result is different. Why I like this better than a sequencer or an arpeggiator like I used to use  with my GR30 and repeater, is because there is simply nothing predetermined or fixed about quantize replace other than the chosen beat subdivision, everything else related to key and note value is wide open. I can take the same beat division and play the same group of notes in the same order,and never get the exact same results twice. For this aspect alone I find it a source of endless fun and fascination.

Looking back, I guess it doesn't show up as much as I thought it did. But there's a really prominent section about 8 minutes into Y2K6:

Seems to actually start around 7:20.

Mark