You Never Know What You're missing (Was Re: FOUND: Simple Multiple Sample Playback Software)

Hey Chris!

Thanks for sharing all these links.

You never know what your missing out on when you don't check and read
emails that use terms that that you've already made critical
assumptions about and dismissed as "not for me."

I (who like to think of myself as a pretty creative and open -minded
guy) have been guilty of this too often.

I cannot tell you how many times I have passed by and not even
**read** posts by people who put the words "Audio Mulch" or "Bidule"
in their subject lines.

I made all sorts of assumptions like "it's (probably) only for PC" or
"that's all right for them, but I'm interested in _______ (fill in the
blank with something else).

To save time we all make "snap decisions" to keep up with the pace of
or all-to-full and hectic lives - that's a basic fact of life for all
of us.

But sometimes our "snap decisions" are made on faulty information (I
won't even go into topics like the recent US elections, but that's
democracy for you).

For the longest time I pretty much dismissed nearly **all** software
posts because I was (as far as music is concerned) strictly a hardware
guy - even though I make my living with computers and comfortable
using them.

But there are often so many messages in the daily flow of the LD list
(which I have been on for 16 years BTW) that a person almost **has**
to develop criteria to determine and read what's important and discard
the rest.

Today's example: I just read your post and checked out Audio Mulch and
Bidule for the very first time.

I was surprised to learn that they were available for both PC and Mac
(I am strictly a Mac guy, in case I hadn't mentioned it).

And, that they are surprisingly very Max MSP like (which I recently
bought and am struggling mightily to "grok" and get up to speed on).

This biggest surprise of all was that not only were these sort of
"similar" products in concept, but hey give every impression of being
much more "user friendly" than Max MSP.

Anywho, I will have to check it out further of course.

But I really wish I had paid attention to some of those earlier
software posts and in particular to those posts mentioning these two
products before I'd bought Max.

Even if I did go ahead a get Max I would have known about other options.

Audio Mulch in particular is giving me a mild case of Max MSP "buyer's
remorse" frankly.

I'd much rather be playing music than sitting programing -
particularly at the level of typing in the arcane code and "lingo" of
Max MSP.

Sure, Max is "deeper" in some ways and you pretty much create what
tools you make from it nearly from scratch, and thus it is totally
"open-ended" - plus it is very stingy with CPU resources.

But Audio Mulch looks like lots more fun (right out of the box).

Is this a correct impression?

I don't know.

I may just have to try it at some point.

Perhaps old loopers can learn new tricks.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Ted