Re: Fripper Gear Trivia

> 2010/12/6 Rainer Straschill <moinsound@googlemail.com
> <mailto:moinsound@googlemail.com>>
>

>     Let me ask you this, then: Suppose you had three (or two, or one)
>     H8000(s):
>     What would you do with them that you can't do with what you have at
>     your disposal and that would really bring forward what you do
>musically?

When I saw Fripp he certainly needed 3 long stereo delays, with
2 of them very precisely the same length.

1 stereo delay was used to create a loop in his front 2 speakers.
The other 2 were very carefully routed so that they created
a stereo soundfield that gradually swept back over the heads
of his audience to the rear 2 speakers.
I not heard of anyone else configuring their delays to create
spacial movement quite like that, it was impressive, and particularly
the synth harps (not a sound I usually enjoy) really seemed to
hang in the air a few feet above head height as they gradually moved back.

I expect that if he specified top quality reliable audio gear to accomplish
this that his setup was not in any way unreasonable.

There's a nice Zappa quote about money
"Some people put it up their nose, I put it in my ear."

andy butler