Re: WHAT SORTS OF FIREWIRE INTEFACES ARE PEOPLE USING THESE DAYS?

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 2:45 PM, Gareth Whittock
<buddhamachine@live.co.uk> wrote:
>  I've just been looking into mobile recorders for my forthcoming
>travels and
> have pretty much decided on the Zoom H4n. It doubles as a usb interface,
>up
> to 4 inputs at once, (recorded on separate tracks) and has good mics on
> board - I should think this would be a pretty good option though it isn't
> firewire.

I have successfully used a H4 since it was first released. I think it
excels as a stereo hand recorder and I mainly use it for recording
interviews for journalistic work and stereo field sound to be used in
my own music productions. Since I'm curious I also tested the H4's
capabilities as USB audio interface and found it epically crappy. I
also tested its capabilities as a guitar effect processor and found it
sounding "digitally crappy". Finally I tortured myself with the four
track recorder function environment... jeez, that one is light years
from "plug n play" ;-)

But as a hand held stereo field recorder I think it is great! That's
the use I dare to recommend the H4 for. Rather good fidelity as well
with the built-in mics.

Before buying a H4 today I would compare its recording abilities with
the iPhone. I've heard the iPhone 4 records good audio but have not
found time to test that out properly yet.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se
www.perboysen.com