Boomerang Power Supply Not Included in Price

Is this a new trend? I can see a pedal that is optionally BATTERY-POWERED not including a power supply but a device that is NOT battery-powered??? What good is the unit w/o a power supply?

I can that making an items price more attractive and possibly competitive is an advantage of not including the power supply but is a power supplys wholesale cost $18.00 in the first place?

No offense to the designer/manufacturer Mike, but it's a little gouge-y.