Re: OT Re: the 60's 70's etc

On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 11:54 AM, andy butler <akbutler@tiscali.co.uk>
wrote:
> The great thing about 60's 70's was that the each
> band had it's own unique sound (even the crappy ones),
> nowadays the bands can be described with reference to "other bands"...and
> that's exactly what they sound like.

Well put, Andy! That's very true. This is also the reason why we
didn't spend that much time "searching for unique sounding bands" back
then, as we do today. Today we can experience this new joy of looking
for (and hopefully finding) new bands and artists that add a personal
expression to the usual spam. In the 60's and 70's everything was
new... eh, well at least until you finally got to hear the original
classical composers or the delta blues original artists that were
ripped off ;-))

I like today's (actually since late 80's when it began in mainstream
music) tendency to steal from many other traditions and especially
cool I find it when someone steals from a local tradition ("folk",
"world", "ethnic"), blend it with something else and mash it all up.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se
www.perboysen.com