Re: Sustainer Question

I have 3 sustainer equipped Fernandes. The gauge of the strings should
not make much difference. I recently switched from 09's to D'Addario
EXL110's also with no problems. The main thing with the sustainers is
the closeness to the strings if the unit is set up right. Also the
neck sustainer and the bridge HB pickup work together on these systems
so it also needs to be setup the way you want it in relation to your
prefs. Heavier strings would seem to need more energy to vibrate but I
generally have the pickups lower on the bottom to get the
volume/sustainer response even. In reality the thin strings need to be
closer to the pickup in my experience.

With the sustainer off does the high E ring as long as it should? It
seems strange that just that string gives you problems. The sustainer
is not a separate pickup for each string like the Moog (I think) or a
midi pickup would be.

Also it works with chords but in a limited way, it's not really a
polyphonic device, well it is but not, in that one frequency will
always dominate after a bit.

So check the offending string for natural sustain and make sure it's
not binding or fretting out and remember the neck and bridge pickups
work together. You might try a lighter string but I have not noticed
any problems going heavier.

Oh, and check the battery! These things eat some 9 v's!!

good luck,

Jeff