Re: The EDP and the Looperlative

Dustbunnies wrote:

>   Now if
> I can just get somebody to explain to me in plain English what 'Loop
> Windowing' is, mebbe I can figure out how to get the LP1 to do that.  ;D

It's all to do with how the edp handles memory,
in some ways very similar to the "Frippertronics" type thing
where the whole performance is committed to tape.

Each time you do an overdub, the EDP moves forward through
memory by a loop length.
So, to "Undo" an overdub (or several) the playback point just
moves back in memory.

When you do a Multiply, the EDP still keeps all the old memory,
but now the loop length is different.
So..say you Multiplyed to 8 cycles, then hitting Undo will still
take you back into the loop history, but the loop length
is now 'all wrong' so you'll hear an 8 cycle loop made up
of the last 8 overdubs you did appearing in order.
(rather spectacular if instead of doing overdubs you'd been
 using 8the Replace).

http://www.andybutler.com/mp3/backwater.mp3
...loop window opens at 2:00

Alternatively you can not do Undo just yet,
 you can build up a few overdubs on the Multiplied loop,
then use Multiply again to bring the loop down to One cycle again.
*Now* if you hit Undo you work your way back along sections
of the long overdubs you just did.

It seems complicated, but really it's a bug in the software.
You're allowed to Undo into areas of memory where it makes
no conventional sense to do so.
Undo just jumps you back by the current loop length, and so
if you messed with the loop length the results are "interesting".

I'm thinking "no way is he gonna do that on the LP1", but I hope you'll
see that as a challenge.

andy butler