Q Steps (SUS = Substitute) commands in the LP-1

On 7/22/64 11:59 AM, Mark Hamburg wrote:
> So, first of all: Cool that the Looperlative can exploit SUS commands if
>only for a Replace and Replace+Original -- though interestingly not
>QReplace.
With all respect, you need to keep digging, Mark,

  The momentary (SUS) nature of midi commands
does work with QReplace.  It's one of the constant tricks of my
performances.
I actually lobbied successfully for it's inclusion, originally, because
I loved
the SUS = Substitute functionality of my EDP and wanted something
similar in the LP-1.

But I might understand why you thought differently because you have to
go two
places in the machine's menu to set it up correctly

So, not to assume, but in case you didn't know,

here's how you do it:

Q steps are assigned per track on the Looperlative (and NOT in the main
menu)

If you hit a track number 7, say,   and then scroll through all of the
options for that
individual track you will hit QSteps and can then set an integer value
which
will represent the rhythmic value that the LP-1 will slice the track
into (silently).

On my Looperlative I set

track 1 to 4/4 in 16th note increments (Qsteps = 16)
track 2   4/4   in 8th notes (Q = 8)
track 3   4/4   in triplet 8th notes (Q = 12)
track 4   in some large number that isn't divisible by 2  (i.e., Q =
53)  for glitching
track 5   5/4   in 8th notes (Q = 10)
track 6   6/8   in 8th notes (Q=6)
track 7   7/8   in 8th notes (Q = 7)
track 8   9/8   in 8th notes (Q = 9)

In this way, I have most of the common time signatures and musical slice
values
that I'll need in a piece of music.

In order to get this to work you need to program a button on your midi
pedals
(back in the main menu) with Q replace on the first command and Q
replace on the second command.
(I'm not even sure why this is necessary but I know practically that it is)

Now, every time you make a momentary press,  the machine will replace
the very next
full 'slice' (or Q)  with whatever it is that you are playing currently.

This is a beautiful technique.
I use it in a very 'square' wave heavy handed way, but people like my
brother use
it in conjunction with other settings including different feedback
settings.

I hope that helps you.

yours,
Rick Walker