Re: Re: Piano lessons advice (O.T.)

On 7/22/64 11:59 AM, Louie Angulo wrote:
> the first time i heard it when i was a kid (about 7 yrs. old it moved
> me so much that i spent hours listening to it in a cassette player and
> learned it all by ear,
> thats when my mom decided pay for private lessons,unfortunately i kept
> learning the lessons by ear because i have bad eyes and could never
> get along with note reading.
> I had even tricked the teacher thinking i was looking at the notes for
> almost a year until he realized i was doing it all by ear
That's hilarious, Luis.

I made it to first chair in the school band on clarinet for five years
by faking my
teacher into thinking I could read.*    I just had a really good ear
and never learned to read pitches (something I still struggle with
to this very day, although, ironically,  I'm a really good rhythmic site
reader
and have taught hundreds of pianists and guitarists how to improve their
rhythmic
reading).

It made me feel better that you had the same story because I've always
had a little bit of shame about this fact.

rick walker

*before the drumset caused me to run kicking and screaming away from the
clarinet
at the age of 13.