Re: should musicians have a second job?

On 19:59, Louie Angulo wrote:
> An interesting article
>

>http://diymusician.cdbaby.com/2011/01/dont-quit-your-second-day-job/?utm_source=DIYNews&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=011211
>
> any comments?
> Luis

OK, just my 2cents' worth.....

"ANYONE can make art today"? Depends what you call art.....

If you're good technically, you can make a living based on music. Like
teaching, session work & so on. But many musos that do this end up with
the money need overtaking their love of the creative need, & doing very
little music for its own sake. The resulting cynicism can be corrosive...

Or you can continue doing your own thing ("...the thing is to put a
motor in yourself..." - FZ) and starve; or you get a second job so's you
can carry on doing your own thing.

Most 'successful' (& I use the term advisedly!) musicians that I know of
(whether especially talented or not) have stuck stubbornly at being
'artists', & nothing else. Come what may.

Or you can (& I quote again from uncle Frank...) "..hock your imaginary
guitar & get a good job..." :)

Me? I've made a career out of living on very little money, subsidised
with making bookshelves, beds, tables, kitchens, anything in wood, to
support my music (when I wasn't earning any money from it). Result? RSI,
arthritus, back pain etc, etc, but I'm still doing the music I want to,
not commercial s**t, even if no-one wants to listen!

There is no universal answer; it's a personal choice (with all the
consequences) until some idealistic political enlightenment takes
place.....waiting, still waiting,...

Dave

-----
No virus found in this message.