Re: EDP as an Audio Sequencer

Thank you for the replies.
_________________________
Luis, I certainly and intimately understand your point about it not being very fun trying to get these 2 EDP's to get along with the drum machine.  I just hope that I will succeed and not have lost all this time for nothing.
Hello Jim.  I have tried the configuration you mentioned.  I didn't try a simple 10 second loop and wait to see if that stayed locked.  I will try that.  My guess is that it will probably stay synced so long as I don't try to do anything more than record the two 10 second loops and let it run with the sequencer.  But simple 10 second loops aren't what I'm trying to do.  However, I'm not trying to do anything more than what the manual claims they are capable of.

I would love to hear more about your experience with your 3 EDPs brother synced.  I'm guessing you had 1 master set to Sync=in and and 2 slaves brother synced with sync=out and MIDI going from the Master OUT to the IN of slave 1, the slave 1's OUT to slave 2's IN, and a tip-ring-sleve-Y cable connected to all 3 Brother Sync jacks.  Please tell me more about how you used this.

I did discover that my MPC1000 might be a liar and a cheat.  I noticed that it was sending a command that didn't appear in the sequence.  I couldn't make sense of it.  But when I rewrote the entire sequence in step edit mode in a new sequence, it no longer sent the ghost command.  I think maybe the command was still in there in the original sequence even though I couldn't see it listed.  I think it might have been the result of some editing and deleting that I had previously done.  If that's the case, then that's a pretty buggy OS from AKAI.  There is another ghost command that seems to be stuck in a different sequence of mine.  So I tried to fix it by copy and pasting the tracks to new tracks and muting the old ones, hoping this might clean it up.  At the beginning of the sequence I have a Program Change going out to place the EDP's into the proper Preset mode.  The newly pasted track appears the same in the Step Edit view.  The same list of commands.  But when I play the new track with the old one muted, the Program Change doesn't seem to be sent.  Even though I see, the EDP's don't see it.  If I mute the new tracks and play the old ones, the EDP's see the Program Change and change to the appropriate preset.  Both tracks have the same list of commands,  exactly the same.  So I never even got to the ghost command that I was trying to clear up.  I'm thinking of trying the JJOS for my MPC1000.  People seem to like it and rave about it's stability.  And AKAI has not responded to my emails.

I'm trying to keep this short.  I know I just failed with that last paragraph.  I've noticed that being too thorough with the details can sometimes turn potential help away.

  ---John M.