Re: Is the new Stalin African-American?

There seems to have been an increase in searches, shakedowns, and
seizures this past Fall in particular, as was noted in the article. I
experienced harassment flying in to Newark from Berlin in September.
Newark was bad. The East Coast seems to have been especially bad. I'm
only grateful I wasn't carrying a guitar, just the mixer, mics,
stands, and a laptop. Ironically, none of the travel between London,
Paris, or Berlin was problematic in the least.

I say that, because 2 weeks later flying between Denver and Phoenix, I
saw little evidence of any increased vigilance.

Last week I was traveling between San Diego and Denver and had no
problems whatsoever (except, in leaving out of Denver, I had to do the
nudie scan and they, politely, reminded me to remove my passport from
my shirt pocket).

It's hard to tell, as the rhetoric can get pretty heavy from both
sides. A lot of civil libertarians are quick to cite stories from
several years ago, but there have been some changes on the other side.
Most of the TSA workers do NOT want to be groping people all day long,
so they have to deal with crappy morale.

The press is lousy when it comes to getting accurate information, but
Glenn Greenwald is a pretty careful writer when it comes to verifying
his sources and stating things in a calm and reasoned manner. SO I
listen to him pretty carefully.

If you're going to be flying (especially! Though I wasn't entirely
surprised at the guy that had his stuff seized, arriving by train from
Canada. Some US politician was talking about ALL public transportation
being subject to the same kind of security theater as the airports),
I'd highly recommend shipping your gear ahead , if you can. Once you
get to the US, try to fly as little as possible. The downside is that
it isn't just laptops; it's any device that they consider to be
"suspicious"...it was my little Behringer mixer that had the jerks in
Newark all freaking out. They are VERY loose in their usage of
"electronic devices"...

It's definitely getting worse but the worst of it is the passive
attitude that most of the US citizenry about changing it.

Dennis

P.S. Atlanta, coming back from Florence by way of Paris a year ago,
was a breeze. They seemed to have their act together.

http://soundcloud.com/usrsbin
http://audiozoloft.com
http://usrslashsbin.angrek.com/