Re: stereo

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 5:55 PM, William Walker <billwalker@baymoon.com>
wrote:
> stereo

I tend to like playing instruments as mono because it allows you a
better intonation for playing and gives a more powerful sound. When
looping though, you create a background horizon while playing the
upfront instrument and then I think stereo is great - for the looper
return signal that is, not for my instrument.

Two days ago I had a great experience in live stereo (!) when doing a
gig at a festival held at a theater venue. The sound system was
mounted with big left and right full-range speakers under the ceiling
right over the front corners of the stage and then both left and right
side had an additional side-fill speaker at the back, behind the
audience. Finally the mighty sub woofers were hidden under the seats,
cinema-style. After my gig I enjoyed the other artists and the players
that used stereo sounded extremely cool in that venue! But I enjoyed a
Joni Mitchel type singer-guitarsploinker-songwriter just as much, but
then rather for the music than for a spaced out sound ;-))

Preparing an upcoming octaphonic gig here now. That's fun but the
challenge is that you can't expect to literally hear what it feels
like until local sound check time. So you need to work with imagined
sound fields when designing the setup.

I certainly agree with Bill that "sound" can't replace music, but
truths like this should be understood on a discussion board like LD
:-)

Per