OT: Building a Midi Breakout Box

Hello soldier fiends,

Having looked into the basic Midi breakout boxes available for the VG
8, etc, I realized, I don't have $400 to buy one of these.  So looking
around I found this
http://www.unfretted.com/loader.php?LINK=/profs/breakout

Any of you technically inclined people have any advice on how to do
this (for a basic novice who has soldered a thing or two but never
built a functioning device)?  I'm wondering a couple of things a), how
feasible is this b) about how much a home brew would cost c) anyone
with the skills willing to build one (for a fee of course).

I'm at the level where I'm not sure I could actually do anything with
these plans but I could probably put it together if I had the parts.

Feel free to tell me I'm better off without the dream of processing
six strings separately.  I think I might be better off that way.
Unless one of you out there......

Kevin

--
Till now you seriously considered yourself to be the body and to have a
form. That is the primal ignorance which is the root cause of all trouble.

- Ramana Maharshi (1879-1950)

Sound and Vision:  http://www.minds-eye.org
Video http://www.vimeo.com/user877640/videos