Re: Re: rhythm sequencers software

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 9:52 PM, Rick Walker <looppool@cruzio.com> wrote:
> Hi,  as a life long rhythmatist, drummer and percussionist,  I feel
> compelled to weigh in on
> this discussion.   Please forgive me as it's just my opinion; just my
> personal aesthetic here, but here goes:
>
> I can't stand drum machine programs that have random variations in them.
> To me,
> they do not feel realistic in the slightest because they are not how
> drummers really think.

Excuse me, but I don't think I used the phrase "realistic" anywhere
;-)   IMHO the point in utilizing random variations for electronics is
not to make it sound as if a drummer is playing - that would just be
too lame and usually sounds lame too! The point in using algorithmic
randomization of audio is to make it sound interesting as algorithmic
randomization of audio! To be clear, what I said is that I think RMX
has excellent randomization algorithms and therefore is hard to beat -
in THAT field.

Rick, I totally agree with your quote above and I do find the rest of
your post highly interesting, as usual!

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se