Re: 64 bit software loopers?

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 3:26 AM, Jeff Larson <jeff@zonemobius.com> wrote:
> I'm skeptical that you're going to see a dramatic speed inprovement
> that will reduce latency.  I haven't been following this closely, what
> is it about 64 bit that is supposed to make it faster?  Assuming
> you're using 64 bit float arithmetic you're juggling twice as much
> data, and that's supposed to be faster?

I've been running Logic and Mainstage at 64 bit code and this did not
make any difference because my Macbook only has two cores, only 4 MB
RAM plus that I enjoy some non 64 bit plugins that needs to be taken
care of through the 32 bit bridge. For now I'm mostly curious about
this but when looking into the future I see eight core laptops and
that's kind of "64 bit homeland" where 32 bit stuff might become
obsolete.

> I'm really surprised that Bidule won't let you load 32-bit plugins.

That is because the recent 64 bit Bidule is a temporary build. Most
host applications have a "32 bit bridge", a "converter" as I
understand it, that makes it possible to run old 32 plugins under 64
bit system mode and one would guess Plogue too will offer that as the
official 64 bit Bidule is released.

The only people I know that already benefit from 64 bit coded system
and music applications are producer colleges that run extremely large
sample library on the top of the line octacore boxes. They typically
enjoy snappier performance, more stable computing and the luxury of
not having to use continuos disc streaming for the sampler patches as
a full song sampler setup can be loaded into RAM (using up to 32 GM
RAM).

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se