Re: Why does mainstream seem more like , downstream these days?

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 11:39 AM, Matt Stevens
<mattstevensguitar@btinternet.com> wrote:
> New experimental music is happening all over the world right now - kids
> messing with tech - they don't care about definitions of the Avant Garde.

I'm with Matt on this. "Genres" are obsolete. The funny part is that
it actually was the explosive growth of genres and sub genres that led
to today's more or less "genre-less" culture. One huge backlash of
this development was the fall of the record labels about ten years
ago; as markets and sub markets for selling music grew just as
manifold as the genre pletora it became impossible to hire marketing
staff that could effectively promote releases in a credible way (as in
"knowing one's shit"). Also, inside each sub genere there soon weren't
enough potential customers to support the business idea of a record
label. Great days for DJ's though!

Per