Re: Why does mainstream seem more like , downstream these days?

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 5:40 PM, Buzap Buzap <buzap@gmx.net> wrote:
> well, I don't share this opinion that mainstream is going downstream.

What exactly does "going downstream" mean in English? If we are all
floating in the river of time the expression would mean "the future"
(since "downstream" is where the water takes everything). That makes
Bill's post mean that everything is going mainstream sooner or later.

But if we regard ourselves not floating with the stream but rather
sitting on the river bank watching all that junk pass by - well, then
Bill's post would mean that mainstream is a more or less passed
chapter.

I personally think mainstream music has got better and better over
time, according to my own taste.

> Actually, for the first time since early 90's, I'm listening to charts
>and buying mainstream music again.

I'm having the same experience!  :-)  For me it started in 1987 with
the Israeli submission to the European Song Contest, a very cool
uptempo piece sang by Ofra Haza utilizing a middel eastern melody
scale over a hard sequenced bass synth line that was tonally flirting
with Bach style "falling" bass lines but by timbre rather following
the by then rather obscure production style of Scritty Politti (the
percussive synth sequencing style Miles Davis then was looking into to
soon be using on his album Tutu). After that mainstream tune more
"odd" music made it into the charts and by the nineties it opened up a
lot. House, Detroit Techno and local folk music from all over the
world (don't know who was responsible for the stupid idea to call that
"ethno") were more often heard within the same songs in the mainstream
airplay domain. KLF's What Time Is Love was a mind opener for may by
that time. Mano Dibango was heard playing african sax growls over a
909 recorded by a guy that produced a mega commercial hit the week
before. Sudden world hit tracks coming right from the underground
experimentation laboratories. Hip Hop and Grunge kind of dumbed it
down a bit, but only temporarily. I'm all positive that a part of the
mainstream music will keep on amazing people. The reason for this is,
as explained in my previous post, that the market, economy and culture
doesn't allow large scale manufactory style music marketing anymore.
If no one can make big money on it, it won't happen large-scale. It
seems this is a good scenario for the 99 percent musicians that are
not superstars. (although musician still, as always, is a shitty job -
but that's another story)

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se