Re: What is the absolutely Per?

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 10:20 AM, andy butler <akbutler@tiscali.co.uk>
wrote:
> Per,
> would it be useful to you to have the LG have the following?
>
> The ability within it's streams of commands to wait for a particular midi
> note before continuing.
>
> e.g. you press the LG switch, but the action doesn't
> happen until you play a certain note.
> (and by putting that in a loop, it could happen *every*
>  time you played that particular note...but only
>  when that preset was selected).
>
> andy

As I understand it you first press a LG switch to send a MIDI note on
(or some other event) but this MIDI note on is not sent until you use
some other MIDI controller to send another (or the same) MIDI note on
to the LG.

Well, I don't think I would use that. It seems too risky since MIDI is
a linear protocol and quite timing sensitive when you start quantizing
and synchronizing; if sending too much data over a MIDI port you are
choking the connection and packages are getting delayed for their
destination. I was active with hardware before computers entered
electronic music and with MIDI it was sometimes a horrible experience,
timing-wise. But this issue doesn't apply to "virtual MIDI" inside a
computer, so if I would find some use for such a delayed command setup
I would prefere to do it in some software rather than in the physical
MIDI controller.

For reference on this, read the manual chapter on "Sweeps" etc. There
are three sweeps and the two faster ones, I think they are like ten
and thirty seconds long, both choke all other MIDI output abilities
during the sweep's duration. Personally I'm finding only the last
"long sweep" useful because it leaves some holes for other packages in
the data stream so you can still use the foot controller for other
commands during the four minutes long sweep.

Finally, I think Xavier should use available time to work on fixing
the bugs and finalizing the Mac editor software for the LG2.

Besides, I read the LG2 manual two days ago and if my memory serves me
right it already has a function to delay a row of MIDI events until a
final switch is pressed, and then sends them all out.

/ per