Re: Total Improv

On 2/17/2011 1:25 PM, Andy Owens wrote:
> What are some current or past bands or loopers that do complete, 100%
> improv? I mean like off the top of your head vocals and all?

I did that for about 10 years. The band's name was The Darsan Trio
(currently on hiatus) and was usually -- though not always --
guitar/bass/drums. Guitar handled most of the loops. We would get on
stage and just start playing. I might call out a key or drone note but
that would be about it. Often after we'd stop I also announce a name out
of the blue for what we just played. Something else we would
occasionally do would be to put a bunch of random phrases/words into a
hat and pull a random one, then improvise to the phrase. Loads of fun,
but it's pretty hard to find players who can do it.

Right now I'm concentrating exclusively on Gypsy Jazz for the next 2
years so my loopers are pretty neglected :)

TW