Re: 2045: The Year Man Becomes Immortal

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 11:45 PM, Raul Bonell <raul.bonell@gmail.com>
wrote:
> if machines are meant to be smarter, i don't get how somebody thinks that
> reverse-engineering our brain is the way to go ...

Reverse engineering the human brain is just the starting point.
Kurzweil is assuming that when knowing how the brain works humans can
kick off the "intelligence explosion" by creating creative machines
that will take over and speed up the development process further,
beyond the speed humans can keep up with.

I don't think the article was scary. The journalist left out the most
frightening of these discussions; the inevitable danger of
nanotechnology. According to this view medecine in a near future will
be forced to start using nano sonds to simply make people stay alive
as germs become resistent to antibiotica. Microscopic nano sonds will
first be launched inside patients to cure them by semi intelligent
behavior not much different than how our biological defense system
works. As nanotechnology gets more advanced and as environment related
deceases spread around the biosphere it will become necessary to
implement fully adaptable and self developing super nano robots into
nature "to clean up", so we can keep on living on the planet. Then the
genie is out of the bottle,  evolution of tech based life has started.
Sooner or later this new life will have to protect itself against the
threat from humans.

Per