Re: 2045: The Year Man Becomes Immortal

there is an upper limit to computer speed, using current technology (we've been getting round it by using multiple "cores" recently) but to take the next step, we're going to need quantum computers. it has been posited that the human mind is not contained within the brain itself, but that the brain is actually operating on a quantum level and the mind is outside the brain. we may find that when we start using quantum computers, we actually stumble accidentally on a way for them to operate more like the brain itself. it's interesting stuff and has been explored in hard sci-fi for many years, but i don't think we're that close at the moment.

sim