Re: Re: recording an album

On 7/22/64 11:59 AM, andy butler wrote:
> Around that time you could get a second hand reel to
> reel 4-track for less money. I had plenty of opportunity
> use both options, and it seemed like anyone who bought
> the cassette version had been seriously fooled by hype.
Or, as in the case of Robert Pollard of Guided By Voices, because
he actually LIKED the low fidelity of the sound.

It's funny, but I still have a wall full of cassettes that I never
listen to
but here while back,  I wanted to listen to a reggae tune that I didn't
have
on any other medium so I got it out and played it on our really
old boom box cassette/fm radio and it was really enjoyable
to hear the sound that I spent hundreds of hours listening to at
one point in my life.

My wife and I actually went on a short kick of getting out old stuff and
listening to it in the kitchen in glorious low fidelity.

she even bought a really old, monaural cassette deck (built like a tank)
which has serious wow because of a slightly bent spindle.

You can hear her low fi recording results here..............It's really
got a charm to
it, to my ears, though it is very low fidelity.

www.myspace.com/donebeginner

Along those lines,   I needed to make a brief recording of my
velcroed melodica (for ersatz bagpipe simulations) for Jeroen Ellferich
and recorded it on my Nokia phone (which is bottom of the line and
TERRIBLE recording
quality.

The way it overwhelmed the mic caused the coolest of cool sounds and I'm
going to
use it on the next Vermin Circus record that Chris and I are going to make.

I'll send the .mp3 to anyone who is interested.   It's just a  brief
little improv in F Lydian.