Re: Sorting out the good stuff

There's a good chance that was me. That's how I made my last 3 cds.

When I first listen to a show recording, I listen to it in my audio
editor. At this step, I listen to the entire show, and copy everything
that sounds like a song into a new file. At this step, I'm not
concerned with quality or whether it's a final edit. The file names
include the date (yyyy-mm-dd), venue, a letter representing the order
in the set and usually a short aesthetic description of the track.
(For example "2009-8-11 Joes Bar A - Spongy Drone.wav")

The next step is to listen to the tracks from several shows on shuffle
play over the range of about 2 months. This gives me an idea of which
tracks contain album-worthy music. I'll put those tracks in a
sub-folder. With me, that will be about 1/3 as many tracks as I
started with. For a typical Matt cd, that's about 20 tracks. I'll
continue listening to the tracks in the subfolder. This is when I
start trying to get a sense of what makes a good "starting cd" song,
"middle cd" song, and "ending cd" song.

At some point, I'll actually open up my CD editor tool. I use Sony CD
Architect, which I really like. It works almost like multitracking
software, except it allows you to determine exactly when CD track
markers are. I start with the track I determined to be my "Starting
Track". At that point, I know where I want the edit point to be for my
"Starting Track". I'll listen to the end of the starting track, and
play several of the other tracks afterwards, to try to get a good fit.
The edit start points for my other tracks often depend on how they
flow from the previous song.

When working on the cd program, that's when I do the most critical
listening of the tracks I like. Several "Good" tracks take too long to
develop. I often wind up editing out large chunks out of the middle of
tracks to take out the areas where I find myself waiting for the next
thing to happen. Fortunately with looping music, that's fairly easy.
If you place the two wave forms of the same track parallel to each
other, you can often see the looping points. It's fairly easy to take
out a few loop cycles, and crossfade between the wav files as your
edit. My "Living Things" cd has several cases where 11 minute tracks
were brought down to 6 minute tracks.

Once I have a rough cut, I give a few copies of the draft to people I
think both understand what I'm trying to do, and will be the most
honest critics. I ask them to give it a close listen, and let me know
of any parts where they find themselves: A) trying to ignore an
element B) waiting for the next thing to happen C) unpleasantly
distracted by something that happened.  I then make the final draft
based on their notes.

So, some thoughts on the above:
--If a track's start point is actually in the middle of a fairly long
transition (from the performance recording), consider using a sudden
start rather than a fade-in. Sometimes the "transition out" of the
previous track will sound a little like a preamble or development,
when you listen to the clip outside of its original performance
context.
--When it comes to editing, I'm not worried about hurting my own
feelings. I'm pretty merciless. Don't use ANY tracks where you find
yourself trying to tune out any elements. (Such as "This sounds great
if you imagine that the rhythm isn't too loud".)  If you can't fix it,
don't put it on the cd.
--I wind up not using lots of work I'm really proud of because I could
not find a way to take out the elements I didn't like.
--Sometimes perfectly good tracks don't make it to CD, simply because
I couldn't find a good place for them to fit with the other tracks.
(And in some cases because they didn't fit with the aesthetic theme of
the cd.)
--Sometimes I'll use a 30 to 60 second clip from the "reject bin" to
serve as a transition between two tracks. (On my "SoftWetFish" cd,
that track actually got radio airplay!)
--Kevin, you mentioned that on some of your tracks you feel that the
"rough" areas are necessary to explain the good bits. I'd suggest
taking a clip where you cut out the rough areas, and listen to that
clip by itself for a while. You might find it does ok on its own.
That's one thing I learned from pop music. Most pop music doesn't
spend too much time setting the stage - it just jumps right in.

--
Matt Davignon
mattdavignon@gmail.com

Kevin Cheli-Colando <billowhead@gmail.com> went: