Re: Ukulele Loop Dreams was looping on npr

thanks for the link.  cool stuff.I've been playing a uke off and on for
a few years now...a gift from a friend who lives in Hawaii, and i'm
really enjoying the simplicity and directness of the instrument.  Here's
a old, long languishing song i quickly recorded recently, just to sketch
it out and show it to a group i will be performing the tune with in a
couple of months.  the uke is playing the simple picking part, with
tremolo'd guitar and a some ambient guitar washes as well.
http://mandaladanceworks.com/music/Jewel_In_The_Belly_(reprise).mp3
as for the tuning, it really freaked me out at first, because i've
learned too many instruments at such a rudimentary level (the 'jack of
all trades, master of none' trick), and learning ANOTHER
instrument/tuning was daunting.  However, if you take the four high
strings of the guitar at the 5th fret, that's Uke tuning.  I was
suddenly relieved, and realized that interesting melodies and chord
clusters learned on the high four strings of the guitar could be
translated directly to the uke, and cool uke chords could be brought
back to the guitar.  It kindof tied the two instruments together for me.
Also, on bass, I have a hipshot drop tuner, and instead of tuning down,
I can turn the low E string up one semitone, do the same for the A
string, and then now the bass is in Uke tuning as well, (albeit in Bflat
6, rather than the C6 tuning of Uke).

oooh...that sounds sexy....Drop Uke Tuning    hahaha....

On my uke, i also use a wound low G string and it's an octave lower than
the traditional uke stringing, so it mirrors the guitar more that way,
too.

My uke is headed to the shop soon to get a pickup installed.  looking
forward to it....looped uke....nice!

regards,
Rich