Re: Re: Ukulele Loop Dreams was looping on npr

On 7/22/64 11:59 AM, Matt Davignon wrote:
> ...And the fretless bass ukelele would also have no frets, I imagine.

Usually works that way.
> Having briefly owned an Ashbory, I noticed that the strings are more
> rubbery than I'm used to. When I tried to do a glissando, I always
> wound up pulling a bit of the string with me. It also wound up going
> out of tune a lot.
Instrument stays in tune much better than the Ashbory and the strings
(as I replied earlier)
are much easier to play and don't have that annoying 'grabbing' quality.
Did you ever use baby powder with the Ashbory?   That solves that one
right away but
it's pretty messy.........cool for the studio, however, if you own a
vacuum cleaner.
> I guess I was checking to see whether the bass uke strings were
> significantly different than the Ashbory strings.
Yes, they are, see above
>   Also, is the tuning
> different?

I can't remember what the tuning was initially as I immediately tuned it
to fourths and now
I change it's tuning constantly (a bit of a pain as it takes a lot
longer to tune because the strings
are so stretchy....it takes a lot more tunes to get it in tune, but the
good news is that you can
really finesse the tuning, commensorately.
> A smaller, more portable bass instrument could be cool. Not
> sure if it's $400 cool, but cool nonetheless.
I got mine for $300 but I guess they've gone up.   I love
mine.......hands down.

rick