Re: portable PA for electronic looper

The back image for the CM-30 is here:

http://www.musiciansbuy.com/mmMBCOM/images/Roland/Roland_cm30_back.jpg

as you can see, there is a stereo link 'send' and 'in' on this unit, and
per the manual, you 'send' whichever signal (say...the Left Channel) to
the 'in' of the other unit, and then the Right channel of the second
unit comes back to the 'in' of the first unit, creating the stereo link.
What this acheives is that you now have 6 inputs available (plus 4
auxes, i guess), all pumping out in stereo.  I haven't tried 'sending'
any material without using the 'in'.  I don't know if by 'sending', it
mutes that channel out of the existing audio.  If it doesn't, then you
do essentially have a 'line out' to repurpose.

For me, it would be more viable to submix whatever material i was doing
and just send XLR leads to each CM-30, so they are merely acting as
powered monitors.  The balanced signal would allow long cable runs, low
noise, and the monitors could be placed freely, with no linkage between
them.

When running my guitar rig through the CM-30, with very little time for
tweaking, I got a very good sound...Bass response wasn't spectacular,
but very reasonable for such a small unit.

Guitar Rig:   EB Volume > Bad Monkey OD > Line 6 M9 > Tech 21 Blonde >
Boomerang III (L) > CM-30 Channel 2
Drums:  Korg Electribe ES-1 > Boomerang III (R) > CM-30 Channel 3

I'll try running my bass/bass preamp through it this weekend.

For my studio/mixing setup, I use an M-Audio SBX10 subwoofer.  It takes
the L/R signal direct from the mixer, and you connect your satellite
monitors to the sub.  It has an internal adjustable crossover to split
the sub frequencies from the rest of the material, only sending the
upper frequencies to the satellite monitors.

Something like this would be killer with a pair of CM-30's and take the
brunt of bass work off those little drivers.  I wouldn't want to
transport that sub, for me, since it's more of a studio unit.  I'm sure
they have suitable subwoofers for live setups?

That being said, with the mixed program material coming from my wife's
iPod we tried last night, bass response was darn good, and that was in
mono using a single CM-30.  Just testing it out, it would be loud enough
to piss off the neighbors if you cranked it.