Re: New Album!

thanks guys

the gear chain was - KGB Custonm Headless Guitar with Sustainiac Stealth / Custom Atlas Strat (on one tune) >> Axe-FX Ultra >> Macbook pro for looping >> iMac G5 running Logic Studio for recording

i've been messing about with plugin hosts for a while, but i always loop with Mobius, Augustus Loop and Crossfade Loop Synth
some of the tracks were recorded using these plugins hosted in Ableton Live, some with them hosted in Bidule
all the loops can be treated live with various plugins, including Audiodamage BigSeq, Reaktor Lurker, Reaktor Veirring, Soundtoys Delay, Soundtoys Crystallizer, Michael Norris Dronemaker, Livecut, some others i can't remember right now and various Ableton plugs
each tune was performed and recorded in one take, but sometimes it took several takes of the same idea to get the one i wanted
a couple of tunes didn't use anything other than the Axe-Fx

i always name my tunes after recording them, but i kept the "concept" in my mind while i was recording and tried to evoke the feeling of big spaces, cold, wind, ice, loneliness, desperation, elation etc etc that might be associated with undertaking a long journey in an inhospitable environment. the music may be about an imaginary journey, or the whole thing might be a metaphor, i guess you can decide which. i also entertained the idea that the travellers didn't end up where they planned to go....take that as you will...!

this was quite a difficult project for me, not just because of the sheer amount of music i had to record (nearly three hours in total - look out for the "Frozen Leftovers" EP soon), but because i still don't feel that i am a particularly sophisticated "looper", but i tried to to push that from my mind and just concentrate on creating some elegant and moving pieces. i hope i succeeded.

thank you for listening!

sim