Re: filters

Oh, come on - everyone knows that the correct way to use a FS1R is not
to use filters, but to change harmonic content via the operators - quite
simply, change modulation index for cutoff, modulator relative frequency
for steepness, and use a second operator pair for a resonant-peak-like
behaviour (and a modulator for the first modulator for distortion) ;)

Seriously, though, as some already pointed out, there are quite a few
(free) editors for the FS1R around, like this:
http://synth-voice.sakura.ne.jp/fs1r_editor_english.html

Envelope follower in Reaktor: use the detector circuit from the
compressor contained in the library as a starting point. Or, much
better, simply connect an ADSR to the filter's frequency input and
trigger that with the MIDI notes which also control the FS1R (and use
the same notes' note number on the filter frequency input for keytracking).

But then again - why would you want to get a subtractive-synth-type
sound from a FS1R? Wouldn't it work better if you used some other synth
from the start (just wondering)?

Another hardware-domain suggestion (I know, I suggest that one every
time): Nord Micromodular. Small and relatively cheap, you could use it
as an effect on the FS1R's outputs (or rather some of its outputs). And
you got nice multimode filters, and the possibility to use
MIDI-triggered envelopes and key tracking right from the start.

          Rainer

--
http://moinlabs.de
Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/moinlabs