frisell/pds8000-alternatives...

re:">I've got to say that all the discussion on Bill Frisell's use of the
>Digitech PDS8000 makes me miss mine. Any good VST alternatives with
>that wonderful 2 octave+ range?"

i will put a vote in for my pigtronix echolution-the modulated delay has 12 sec. it is the closest thing i've heard
on a "hardware pedal" that can do what frisell is doing w/ his pds8000.

i'm still sort of amazed that digitech has never redone this pedal. their jamman pedals seem to just go the route of the boss loop stations.
which i guess is all the rage....

seems everyone is going software now....w/ all the problems i have at home w/ computer and at work w/ computers, i'm not sure if i'd put
my money on relying on one for creating things live....granted i know hardware stuff can fail too & break, but i guess i'm old school...

the echolution is not a perfect recreation-it is more going for the "echoplex tape" model of delay. if you set it long, and spin the dial to shorten
the time, you get the high pitched munchkin sound going fast, or if you play a couple of notes on a short delay and spin the other way to lengthen
it-it gets all low and growley....i love it. and if you switch the loop switch you can capture what you're doing and it plays infinately---w/ the loop switch off
it acts more like a tape delay and fades (can go to oscilate mode too). the pedal has it's limitations-12 sec (supposedly 20 sec w/ tap tempo-haven't figured that
out yet-requires READING! i love the 12 sec and knob for manipulating the time too much), and since it's based on "tape sound" the repeats are not crystal
clear like on the pds or a digital delay...but i find it sounds great, and inspiring pedal....love the limitations....

from vids i watched when i debated my purchase-it  appears the eventide timefactor in it's 12 sec of loop mode can do similar things w/ speed, it was the other
pedal i debated and watched endless vids on, when i had some money from pedal sales. i just ended up pulling the trigger on the echolution...don't regret it at all.
s---
www.soundclick.com/hsacnostetn