Re: Re: Sound vs function - refuting myself

On 7/22/64 11:59 AM, marcus kirby wrote:

Apparently the guitar player for chris isaac used the pod as well, even on that legendary "wicked games" tone.

Uh oh!

Saw WIRE here while back and Colin Newman had just an amazing array of incredible guitar tones.........all very varied; all very wicked. It was from a sonic standpoint, for me, the most intriguing and inspiring guitar show I've seen in ages.

He used an old plastic Hagstrom and an Ovation Breadwinner electric (both very skinny sounding guitars)

I went up to look, marvel and lust after his myriad effects pedals: and was completely shocked to see that he was running one of those large Line 6 Pod XT multi-effects pedals ($300 USD currently)
into a Roland JC 120.   That was it.

That has to be one of the most anemic looking setups I've ever seen from what I know about that equipment
but he was getting AMAZING sounds out of it.

It just goes to show you how much human imagination is involved with effects processing.

That Roland amp is notorious for a very, very clean sound (favored by electric jazz guitarists in the worst later phases of insipid fusion). I remember cringing in the 80's if I hit a casuals gig and new guitarist would come up on stage with one of those amps ('' aaargh, another entire night of uninspired guitar sound and lame Larry Carlton rip off licks'')

Obviously, Colin was liberally using all the different amp models to get his sounds.

One thing I noticed though, was that every sound he had a distinct timbre from the other guitarist in the group. He had obviously spent a long time crafting each tone because they were all beautiful and/or ominous.

I was impressed.

Rick Walker