DD20 odd behaviour: high-pitched constant whine in specific wiring situations

Hi everyone,

I'm finally at my wit's end - so the only possible solution left is to ask you:

My Boss DD20 has for a long time been integrated into a setup centered around a Mackie 1202 VLZ Pro mixer (aka "Nerdville Setup"). After remodelling that setup recently ("Nerdville 2.0"), I considered a constant high-pitched shrieking sound emitting from the DD20.

The sound is also present if there are no inputs connected to the DD20, or if all other connections to the mixer are removed. The sound remains if I connect the DD20 to different inputs of the mixer. Trying different cables doesn't help, either. The sound does not appear in the DD20's headphone connection, and by using an unbalanced (TS) cable instead of a TRS cable to connect the DD20 to the mixer.

So the short version: workaround defined (using TS cable). However, I'd prefer to know what is happening here.

Any ideas?

         Rainer

--
http://moinlabs.de