Re: Galactic Travels Playlist #739 for June 2, 2011.

Thanks, Andy, for remembering and sharing that. Indeed, even if people don't listen to GT, they do like to check out the music listed in the playlists that I post.

As to being local;
Yes, it's a local show via FM but is world-wide via the station's web stream. The stream is real time so you have to tune in when GT is actually on the air. This is not an on-demand show. This is not very convenient for our European friends since GT starts on Friday at 4:04 am in the UK and 5:04 am on the continent. I've been told that someone records my shows and makes them available. I am not allowed to encourage this and I don't know where this site is located. But it does spread the word of EM. WDIY's stream is only 56kbps, i.e. the frequency response drastically starts to roll off at 6kHz and is gone by 6.5kHz so there really isn't any loss of sales to people who enjoy reasonable fidelity music.

As to the podcasts;
No, entire shows are not archived or podcast. WDIY doesn't have the resources to do that. The station does not have the facilities to hold the files nor the financial resources to pay for the royaly fees required. In our case, podcasts can only contain material that BMI, ASCAP, et al won't chase after us for fees. Therefore, there are only a few podcasts and they only contain material where the copyright owner is WDIY or a license has been granted by the copyright owner to podcast material free of charge. Podcasts, therefore, only contain special moments from the broadcast show where we have been granted a free license for podcast use. Such moments include concerts played live on GT and repackaged as a podcast by me long after the broadcast.

As to having my own list;
Yes, there is one but it is for people who are already fans. (There is also a MySpace page and a Facebook Fan Page.) However, since part of my reason for doing this show is to promote the people who create Electronic Music, I must let people know in places where potential fans may exist. LD is such a place since many electronic musicians use looping as a tool of their craft. The Ambient and Spacemusic genre can only continue if new fans can be cultivated. That can't happen if people don't hear about shows like GT on lists like LD.

However, I reiterate my offer not to post here if that is the consensus. Kim always encouraged me to post my playlists here. I also post about Thought Radio, too.

Cheers,

Bill