Re: Set-Up

Ok Kevin, now I understand better what you're up for. Over here I used
to use a Peli Flightcase like
http://customcases.dk/cases/peli-cases/peli-case-1650.html
but as flight regulation began kicking against my wallet I reorganized
and went for a more modular setup where things can be packed to
optimize the free check-in luggage wight. If going overseas two bags
are allowed and that's no problem. The challenge is to travel here in
Europe where you only get one trunk for free.

If I can do a concert with only a flute I pack it together with audio
interface and laptop into my cabin bag and check in everything else in
a sturdy suitcase of normal size.

If I'm about to play guitar or Stick it is a bit more tricky. I have a
good Stick case that can also take my Gordius MIDI foot pedalboard
plus the most heavy things that can be crammed into the Stick case
wrapped up in bubble plastic material. Then I check in the Stick case
and bring 8 kg of whatever left over as hand luggage on the plane in a
bag of exactly the maximal size allowed. This means there is not much
weight for cloths so I have to wear a double setup of cloths on the
plane and some detergent in the bag. Cables can be borrowed on
location and a shaving machine can be exchanged for light and small
plastic on-time razors. Since my hand controlled midi mixer is ultra
small and takes its power directly from USB I can skip over bringing a
power supply for this. When I arrive at the destination airport I
repack my things, taking out everything of the Stick case and put it
inside my cabin luggage bag. This to make the Stick case easier to
carry (I have a loose strap that I can put through its handle to carry
it hanging on one shoulder as well) and also to assemble all heavy
stuff in the cabin bag that has wheels.

Oh, a good trick is to weight one's hand luggage without the computer
since you will be asked anyway to take out your computer before
examining the hand luggage weight at the airport. So the computer can
actually be the two kilo that go above the allowed 8 kg (making 10 kg
*after* the security check). And finally, you are allowed to bring
heavy things in your pockets too - if they are not listed among the
stuff that are forbidden inside the cabin. Audio interface and power
supply transformers are typical such *pocket stuff*.

Per