Re: New Moog Lap Steel

Daniel Thomas wrote:

The zoom's lil electret condensers actually produce a surprisingly deep image. Also, there is some kind of DSP monkey business going on in that camera that makes it always sound pretty darn presentable. Though I have noticed that upper harmonics are harsh -- strangely, at lower recording levels. If I hit the input a little harder, the overall sound of the unit improves-- some DSP threshold getting invoked?

Hi Daniel,
well I only have the H2, but it doesn't have any DSP going on at all.
If you're getting harsh sound at low levels on the Q3 my first
guess would be that you're using mp3 format for the sound, ....surely not ;-)

Guess 2 would be something to do with automatic level compensation,
...worth switching that off if it's on unless it's 100% needed.

More likely it'd be something to do with the analog electronics of the unit, unless you were recording so quiet that bit depth is an
issue.

..but hey, you got the result you wanted...those Zoom gadgets are
great value for money.

With the H2 it's essential sometimes to record at low level and then boost in a DAW. When using 24bit format I've found this works well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN6M9I0gUPc
(visuals from the Nikon D90 which has a horrible mic)

andy