Re: Bandcamp "let fan name price"

You could always try it and find out--I don't know much about bandcamp, but if there is the option to change the price down the road, it wouldn't hurt to give it a shot. I agree with the high cost of CDs and I see Per's point, but at the same time, you can look at your bottom line too--you don't gig much and not too many people outside of the looping world know you, so to offer fan-pricing, you are making your music more accessible to the people who don't know you. You could sell 100 digital copies for 2 bucks a piece, vs. 10 copies for 10 bucks. It seems cheap, but you have 200 dollars in your pocket vs. 100 dollars.

Of course, my opinion is skewed, because I have a day job that pays the bills. My music isn't something I really care to sell. I'd play for free because I feel that's where my calling is--to share, not profit. Granted, if I was a pro musician, then I would feel the opposite--i'd have to profit, or i'd starve!

In the end, i'd say it's up to you and your goals in music--are you willing to let the market decide how much your music is worth?

Charlie