Re: Why...?

After reading this further I thought i'd answer the original message in
regards to me:

On Oct 22, 2011, at 3:05 AM, "Clayton Gary Lehmann" <hqr@cox.net> wrote:

> Why do you 'loop'? What got you started on this path?
I must admit it was the Black Horse Cherry Tree the really re-ignited my
passion for it. I almost afraid to admit that but I thought she was
uber-effing cool. I haven't seen her name bantered about here much so
maybe she is disliked. I careth not. I haven't been subscribing too long.
I had recorded a "loop" metronome harmony vocal track on a song in the
late 80's utilizing a digitech dsp128(sic?)

> Was it a mechanism for solo performance? to record a vamp?

Again I'm almost embarrassed because, unlike KT Tunstall, I have read many
opinions of my equipment and they are all bad.
I love it
Boss RC-50

I play a locally made banjo thru it and with my other two pedals, POD
Octave and a Digital Reverb ( I set it to gated to get that cheesy drum
machine sound off my banjo head)

> A compositional device, a new avenue of expression? (repetition as
> compositional device?)
I have only written a few songs with it in mind.

> An 'artistic statement' in itself? as if to say "I DONT NEED NO STINKIN
> BAND!"

Yes. I like being a solo banjo player with a 50lb effects bag.
I often bill myself as KY's Pete Seeger of Punkgrass

> A fallback for artistic roadblocks? (as in--an easy way out)

Not really
> A way of exploring new rhythms?
I'm a rather sub-par banjo player due to my lack of rhythmic variation. I
guess it helps.

> A textural apparatus? sound design?
Actually most of the more interesting stuff I do with it is vocal harmonies

> A means of 'warping sound'?

Warping a traditional bluegrass sound; yes.

> With me, it's been all of the above, and I've jumped among 7 or 8 devices
> along the way.

Well. I often loop harmonicas (I prefer harmonic minor key harmonicas) and
switching between my homemade archtop and my uber cheap fretless gut
string minstrel banjo.
Soon I will be adding appalachain dulcimer to my sound. I think that will
really make things "interesting"

Chaz Worm - singer, bass, banjo
Earth, Worm & Fire
http://chazworm.com