Re: Why...?

I looped in the early 80s with two Effectrons (sample and hold).
I guess I started looping because it was the only way to create a big sound with one person or one guitar other than deafening me and the audience.
Looped arpeggios with the Jupiter 8 which I still have and still love.
When sequencers appeared in the 80's (Studio Vision and before that the Kurzweil 250) I looped with them.   That's what they did.
Most all modern, folk, troubadour... anything with a verse and chorus, anything that repeats, any ostinato is looped.
Created rap beats in the 80's with 1/4" tape.  That was SERIOUS work!
So I guess I loop because the kind of music I do is based on loops from the get go.
Since joining this group I've fiddled with the raga like, no chord change looping and I enjoy that.
I loop because it's the only band members I can get to show up for rehearsal.
I liked Philip Glass way back when.  My studio is called "GlassWing" partially because I was fascinated with P Glass's music.  I created the word 'glasswing' in 1978. The wing part came from the zebra finches I used to raise.  P Glass looped manually!
I saw Danny Gatton loop with an old tape Echoplex in the seventies I think it was.
Same with Robert Fripp.  I think that may have been the seventies too.  It was him solo with 2 tape machines.
Finally, I loop for the same reason I do most all that I do - because it's fun!

As you can see, my definition of looping might diverge from some of our definitions on this list... which I love so much I read most all you write.

I never did music for the women.  I have loved music passionately since I first heard Fats Domino, Chuck Berry, Little Richard etc as a child.  They sang the way I felt.  It was a huge revelation for a six year old.  Over time, it just got better and better.  The perks, the side bennies of music were a happy accident for me.
I would guess most of us who started music way way back when didn't even consider the perks.  It was an extreme passion that just swept us off our foundations.  We had no choice.

I still don't.