Re: livelooping. Ambient.

I dont think thats harsh at all. To me, Ted's point seems to be a fair assessment of what I understand your view of the matter is.

By definition- if it was live, and looped, It was live looping.

If some use the term to describe something else- they are manipulating a phrase for their own ends. I dont know if someone has used the phrase 'live-looping' to describe a particular syle or what-have-you, and honestly, I dont care. Ill call it what it is. If it was live (as opposed to 'canned samples sequenced on a grid'- that exists to, but that wouldn't be done 'live') and looped- its live looping.

Can we leave the poor bastard who has the bandcamp page alone and move on already?

BTW- in todays musical environment, its just as likely to find a player who plays a polka next to a 12 bar blues in a looping environment as it is to find purveyors of either style. I feel by affixing broader names to musical idioms we can encourage broader approaches and get broader results thereby moving art forward on a societal level.

Not only do the monsters Ted speaks of exist- but they are the very people who discourage experimentation in the arts by minimizing 'legitamate' approaches and reducing evolution of successful practices by affixing narrow-and close minded approaches and passing these ideas around to the next generation. As in- "anything done by Schoenberg in his serialist phase wasnt music because serialism is a learned technique and thereby artificial."

Synthetic scales are the only real scales, discuss...

(If you cant guess, Im an advocate of looping. The man who plays 12 bar blues may someday become an expert texturalist by means of evolution with the craft. Or he may not. I am not going to say his art isn't legitimate if he doesn't want to go anywhere with it. Im not going to say he isnt a looper- his timing may be impeccable because of the nature of shuffle grooves- Im done with hearing elitists misusing artistic terms- If you would like to continue this discussion in private, feel free to do so. But narrow-mindedness is a place for anywhere but the arts.)